Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Candy would have been an answer to Girl Child apathy

Dear Candy,

"It was a patienceful start of the day after a sleepless night, as your mom was getting inside to Operation Theatre (OT) for her second big pariksha (test) of her lifetime. A much awaited moment for every lady before she enters her motherhood, so as for Poonam. The kind of personal unrest and professional change which we had witnessed after your demise, brought both of us into lot of mental stress and inconvenience at large, all I was praying outside OT for a healthy new born soul and safe mother. No matter boy or girl but a ray of hope which could eclipse our so far ‘banawaati’ smile and a solid reason to live more.


Anyway, I am observing reformists globally discussing about girl child/female foeticide. Reading a lot about same Or say watching TV serials based on said subject. Even had been part of same campaign many times. But for a moment outside the OT, I felt a sense of ashamed on being a human who was witnessing a disgrace of new born baby girl. Ohh Candy, We all had never been so cruel on your first breathe, how can be others.


Joining close to me a typical well off Punjabi family eagerly waiting for a result which a mother bearing over a past nine months for twins. As a loud call, broke the silence for Rupinder’s (Operated lady) attendants, anxious family members rush-in for baby twins. Me, standing closeby to OT’s glass pane gate, a nervous lady (someone close relative to Rupinder) in her fifties asked me in her concern, “Munde hoyie ne” (Are they baby boys ??) For a moment, I was just a mute spectator for reading her expectations. Her eyes, as if dying to see a baby boy. “I don’t know. What they are whispering inside, I didn’t realised” I said, Her curiosity continues, and my never ending thoughts on the apathy of those baby girls got a start from there.


Moments later, Rupinder’s mother in law, made it official – that’s a healthy twin girls. Oh no !!! Why such a silence than. And that mentioned lady burst into tears, which I am sure she never before. How bad !!! I seen such cry on someone demise but what is this. Is that the kind of welcome that those tiny souls were expecting on their arrival? Her never ending tears, silence in the Rupinder’s camp, no sign of celebrations suggested me that people across the world shouting for Girl Child campaign is actually a defeated purpose.


Dear Candy, I was just a helpless soul out there in middle. Feeling so bad for Rupinder (who is a lady) who delieved two lives (female), doctors (ladies) who put their lifelong experience to bring a new arrival in this beautiful world, and for again those (ladies) outside OT who came for a hope.


Tell me Candy, how much you have been so favourite of all, as long you lived. On a single glimpse of yours, one turns fan of yours. Many clicked/shoot you, Many posed with you, everyone kissed/hugged you, you still rule many screensavers, albums. Don’t know what all. Still many disheart when they got to know about your demise. You had been such a delight for everyone, wherever your parents been, introduced you with a sense of pride and dignity. I still recollect comments on you as “our would be miss india”.


We both always had a sense of pride to carry a “girl child” i.e. you, which I doubt, if your brother Coco succeed to deliever.


Stay Connected"


Your loving Dad

Sudeep Rawat




1 comment:

  1. hi Sudeep,
    I am stunned after reading that ground reality.
    All I can say if your baby's smile and your words could heal the world, than nothing like that.
    So dear, keep writing
    Rashmi

    ReplyDelete